Monday, March 5, 2007

Skiing in Arizona

Hi! I'm back from seeing Becca in Arizona so I thought I'd get back to blogging. I'll start with our opening weekend in which we drove up to the White Mountain Apache Reservation. There we went skiing at Sunrise Ski Park. It was great. Neither of us had been skiing for years so we were at fairly similar skill levels.

We did a good job staying on our skis and not falling with one exception. In my infinite wisdom I decided that we were doing so well that we could go ahead and try a short stretch of blue hill called Crown Dancer (if you don't know, the slopes are color coded, from green to blue to black in increasing difficulty.) After all I'd done blue hills in Ohio without difficulty so I thought it would be ok. Well, I now appreciate the idea that at better ski resorts the slopes are harder. We fell a lot. Actually, we fell so much that we gave up and ultimately walked down until getting to a green section. The other picture is looking back up at the hill we walked down. If you don't think it looks too bad, try it :)

After that we stayed in the green slopes and were much happier. We had aspirations of going snow shoeing the next day but we were both so sore we instead swung over to Phoenix on the way back to Tucson and stopped at Ikea to do some shopping, which was safe as well.

There's more to my week down there but I'll describe it later.

2 comments:

Joel said...

Ah fun! I've never gone downhill skiiing. I've done cross country, and I was uncoordinated at that and fell a lot, so I might break every bone in my body if I did downhill.

We did go snowtubing over the weekend, which was good fun.

Gina Cooper said...

I've never gone skiing either so that hill just looks plain scary to me. by the way, Erik got to 100,000 guild status points before you!